Friday, May 13, 2011

A West African Adventure

Akwaaba, which means welcome in the Twi language of Ghana, is a tiny, windowless restaurant tucked away in the back of a small African grocery store. Owned by Edoh Akakpo, an alumnus of Augsburg College, and run by chef Rafiat Moustapha, Akwaaba was the May stop of the Twin Cities World Tour.

The atmosphere was a little intimidating. The long tables all faced the center of the room and the menus had no prices. A large group of Somali women were also there for a party, so we were serenaded by the fantastic mixing of African music and 90s R&B. The big-screen LCD TV, which was installed just in time for the World Cup, showed an African movie.

At the same time, the food (I had the jollof rice with beef) was great. Make sure you try a little of the hot sauce as well--notice the emphasis on little. No joke. Now that I know what I'm getting into, I would definitely go back! It was an experience I won't soon forget.

Akwaaba Restaurant
1823 Nicollet Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
612.872.4414

1 comment:

  1. It was definitely the strangest atmosphere I've ever experienced in a dining situation. It did not deter me from eating the crap out of those friend plantains. They were amazing!

    ReplyDelete